Firmware 3.90 FINAL has been released on Dec. 23th. Last changes:
- updated HX3 Flash, may be "scripted" and customized by OEM/technicians for own organ projects
- added 3.90 versions for mk2
Firmware 3.90 PRELIMINARY has been released on Dec. 21th. Last changes:
- "Master Volume" menu entry, affects all 4 output signals. Available by pressing encoder knob twice.
- MIDI ScanCore #20 provides +1 and +2 octave up of lower manual in upper manual split mode. Will be implemented in other scan cores soon.
- emphasised "throb" in rotary horn simulation with FPGA #20122015
- refined rotary modulation parameters. Those in FW #3.85 were a little low, resulting in a somewhat "flat" modulation.
- less artefacts (see note below)
- support for HX3 Drawbar Expander. In this firmware TONE pot analog input is mapped to MASTER VOLUME, otherwise it is compatible with HX3 standard firmware for board installations. TONE pot parameter is available as menu entry only.
- deleted obsolete menu entries for standard firmware
- Rotary stops on front center position for both rotor and horn (phew! That was hard work...)
- "freewheel taper-off" effect when rotary stopped from slow or fast run
- Sostenuto/Sustain selection moved to MIDI CC set entries to make it available through menu system. 6 additional entries with "." will have sostenuto on MIDI CC #64 instead of sustain.
Concerning digital artefacts in rotary horn modulation:
If you have young, sharp ears, you may have noticed a subtile "chirp" sound when rotary switched to fast, playing highest notes and horn modulation parameters in 250's range (HX3 Remote "Leslie" page). This is an interference between note pitch, modulation frequency and oversampling clock (781 kHz now, 390 kHz on former FPGA versions). Reducing horn modulation parameters 616 to 624 does help, but sacrifies depth of rotary effect. Find a compromise that does not insult your ears.
Firmware 3.851 has been released on Dec. 6th. Last changes:
- adjustable vibrato scanner gearing (frequency), param 488 in HX3 remote (located just before "Vib1 LC age"). Vib frequency raised some percents in AVR firmware eeprom defaults.
- fixed unwanted "feature" in MIDI IN ScanCore #18. Sostenuto CC #66 robbed PERC ON in NI B4 CC set. Now Sustain on CC #64 may be switched to Sostenuto functionality by HX3 Remote param 48. New MIDI ScanCore is #19. It is compatible with older FW and FPGA versions, so may be updated alone. Does only affect HX3 MIDI expander.
- please use new HX3 Remote organ defaults file with addt'l param entries
- fixed "Vibrato Knob not saved on Preset 0" bug in expander firmware
Firmware 3.85 PRELIMINARY has been released on November 23rd.
- Added "Sustain", "Sostenuto" and "All Notes Off" accepted MIDI commands, MIDI ScanCore #18 only!
- Improved overflow behaviour in busbar adders, somewhat louder bass pedal
- Less prone to overflow distortions on loud tapering settings
- Higher audio output level on rotary simulation
- Rotary simluation delay lines now with 16x oversampling rate, should result in less modulation artefacts
- Simplified Leslie default parameters in HX3 Remote, most params changed in value
- "Real Time" adjustment of reverb parameters
- Fixed Split bug in XB2 ScanCore
See https://github.com/keyboardpartner/HX3/ ... ter/LATEST
Concerning several requests (and against my personal opinion), I added "Sustain" and "Sostenuto" MIDI CCs accepted. Due to space restrictions, this was a lot of work - only possible by some tricky programming. Until now, these command interpreters will not fit into other ScanCores than "MIDI IN only". Just replace MIDI SCanCore with HX3 Remote "Advanced" page if you don't need the other features listed. ScanCores #18 will also run on Firmware 3.8 and up.
As the firmware update includes a bunch of param changes, do not
let HX3 Remote or HX3 Flash restore your old Organ or Leslie parameters. Firmware and FPGA must be updated both.
Leslie simulation in FPGA got a re-written modulation engine and new delay line oversamplers; this might result in a somewhat "different" sound (may be tweaked by Leslie Default params, though). Some guys noticed modulation artefacts on FAST position which should be barely noticable now.DO NOT UPDATE WHEN YOU'RE HAPPY WITH YOUR HX3 AS IT IS
OR YOU DON'T NEED THE FEATURES LISTED ABOVE. PRELIMINARY VERSION. Params are subject to change.
TO DO: Some people told me the Vibrato frequency is a little too low. How much in percentage? I checked my scanner rotor gearing calculation to be OK, but I may be wrong - my apologies, I'm just as old as the wax caps.Please post bug reports or suggestions here.
Do not use the "bugreport" email account anymore.