Hold keys via sustain pedal - wish for feature

Rund um die "Clonewheels" HX3.1 bis HX3.4 (mk4) und HOAX 2

Moderator: happyfreddy

Valpurgis
Hold keys via sustain pedal - wish for feature

Beitrag von Valpurgis »

I miss one feature on the HX3 expander which I am used to from some other B3-clones. The possibility to hold tones while pressing the sustain pedal (via midi controller input to the expander). Previous to buying the HX3 expander I have been using this feature on my Korg CX3 and Hammond SK1. The hold feature is also implemented on the Nords and VB3 vst. Before buying the HX3 I considered a Numa organ but found that it not supported hold. Bought the expander to improve the sound of my CX3 and SK1 and love the sound of HX3. Have tested it via the AO28 of a B3 connected to a Leslie 122 and the HX3 was extremely close, the V/C was spot on.

Any chance to implement this hold feature?
drawbar12
Re: Hold keys via sustain pedal - wish for feature

Beitrag von drawbar12 »

I second that. Why not implement Hold (CC 64) for many of us who want it? Hold should of course be specific with given midi channel, excluding other channels.

Is this possible via future firmware update, or is there a hardware barrier?
yubby

Beitrag von yubby »

I also would like to see this if possible in a future update. It's a feature I am used to with Nord, Hammond SK, CX3, etc.
drawbar12

Beitrag von drawbar12 »

Is it possible to build a MIDI pre that implements Hold, even if the MIDI sound source does not respond to CC64 as such?

I mean, just delaying sending "note offs" to sound source as long as the sustain pedal is down. Are such midi processing "hold" boxes available?

I checked tre Midi Solutions site, such kind of processing is not mentioned in their products.
happyfreddy

Beitrag von happyfreddy »

Hi
In former times a Hammond organist, who wants this feature, takes a simple tooth-stick or some equivalent to keep a manual key down.
No Hammond never had a footswitch to realize this.

Later pure electronic Hammonds had this feature to realize Accompainment Memory for the lower keyboard. In this case it was realized by
little solenoids to keep a key down.

If You want this by MIDI You had to programm a little prozessor for this use. That means You have to find out what was the latest Key(s) beeing played and for this keys You have to stop the following NOTE OFF Midi bytes beeing sended. But You have to store these bytes in a buffer !!!!
When the "note hold switch" is turned OFF You must send these stored MIDI key numbers and You have to complete these numbers with MIDI Channel byte and velocity "Zero" = Note OFF // or complete NOTE OFF Command. Otherwise You have some " hanging notes ".

Important : A possible MIDI Command " Alle NOTES OFF " for a specified channel is not implemented in HX 3 !!

If You want this bulk " all otes off" for a certain channel You have to send in a sequence all 61 keynumbers with the command NOTE OFF - the ONLY WAY to do this.

Perhaps You can find such MIDI equipment at Doepfer
drawbar12

Beitrag von drawbar12 »

Thanks happyfreddy, so this is possible. Now we shall only wait for the MIDI implementator. :)

Wonderful stories about toothpicks, even knives (cool!). Perhaps we can find a more civilized (or is it?) solution in the future.
happyfreddy

Beitrag von happyfreddy »

hi
If You want the feature " key hold " You must do it Yourself or buy some Midi equipment which is able to do this.
notice: If You find something which can do check it up if it works with transmitted MIDI Command ALL NOTES OFF on the used channel.
If YES it won´t work in combination with HX 3 because the HX 3 doesn´t know this command !!!
Valpurgis

Beitrag von Valpurgis »

Implementing this function via an external midi processor/buffer will be troublesome and involve more equipment and cabling. The worst will be the higher risk of "hanging notes" if the implementation is not rock solid. Happyfreddy, is your answer an official statement of that this feature not will be implemented on the HX3 ?
drawbar12

Beitrag von drawbar12 »

I received this info from Carsten, when I asked the issue:
“I once tried a simple hold function in the responsible ScanCore but it led to unwanted results, so I refrained from implementing it.”

So apparently it is not coming in the near future. That led me to ask other possibilities here.
My main uses of sustain pedal would be a) hold a chord while soloing b) preserving the legato when moving to another place on keyboard.
Valpurgis

Beitrag von Valpurgis »

drawbar12, in addition to your examples of use of the sustain function:

I also use it for c) moving drawbars while holding chord when the free hand is playing another keyboard in a multi keyboard setup, and d) when layering piano and organ on the same keyboard to avoid staccato and retriggering organ notes while playing the piano lines or moving chords. This has been part of my playing mode for many years and makes it impossible for me to use the HX3 in live playing. I love the sound of it but currently only use as a substitute for the tone generator in my Nord C2.
Antworten