Volume issue through midi

Erfahrungen und allgemeine Fragen zu den HX3.5/3.6-Boards und zum HX3 Manager

Moderator: happyfreddy

zoleeon
Re: Volume issue through midi

Beitrag von zoleeon »

I tried is directly, controller connected with midi cable to HX3, the 2 audio out in mixer, the usb connected also to be able to connect with the pc and the power supply..that's all....tried it out with all may midi controllers be it keyboard like Novation SL61 mkII or Kurzweil Forte 7 or Roland Pro A300, be it like novation zero sl mkI or evolution uc33...on all is doing the same noise when an assigned pot or rotary encoder or slider or volume pedal is increasing the volume on HX3...if it is really needed I can take pictures too
zoleeon

Beitrag von zoleeon »

now is doing the pops an clicks noise always....
pops.mp3
(732.7 KiB) 93-mal heruntergeladen
happyfreddy

Beitrag von happyfreddy »

Please then contact keyboardpartner directly

info@keyboardpartner.de

I now have no idea what the reason should be........
zoleeon

Beitrag von zoleeon »

I wrote them email last week, but no answer till now...
zoleeon

Beitrag von zoleeon »

Hi!

I found something and maybe this is the cause of the pops and clicks during volume changing...CC07 from value 0 to 4 there is no sound at all. The sound starts at value 5, and remain the same as volume till value 14 and the next raise is at value 15, and remain the same till 22, changing again at 29, 34 and so on...so there are big gapes between values which are changing the volume and the pops an clicks are at this values 5, 15, 23, 29, 34 etc...Can someone try this on it's own HX3.5 to see if other unit are changing the volume like mine? I will try this on my other gears to see if this is the normal way to change the volume through CC07...

Still no answer from keyboardpartner....
zoleeon

Beitrag von zoleeon »

Hi everyone!

Christian answered by e-mail for this issue the very next day...I did not noticed it because it went into the spam box....the solution for crackling volume is the firmware nr. 5.735.

Thank you!
zoleeon

Beitrag von zoleeon »

Hi!
..unfortunately the update did not help....I found a solution, maybe others can use it too...I only use the upper register, to combine sounds or only for the organ sound and the upper register has it's own volume CC09..this volume CC is not making any noise....I keep the CC07 always at maximum value and use the CC09 for changing volume amount..
MacKey

Beitrag von MacKey »

Hi Zoli,
the main volume regulates the volume of the HX3 itself before the sound is leaving through the outpout ports. But the HX3 contains many gain staging components including the internal simulated tube amp gain (and drive level), the upper (maybe which you are using with MIDI "CC09"), lower and bass pedal volumes and also the tube amp drive compensation (!) for lowering also the complete organ output volume when turning up the tube amp drive level. So the main volume also have to manage enough "internal headroom" to translate its volume to allocate to all of the 127 possible volume setting parameters (from 0 up to max. 127). Additionally the main volume parameter provides not a proportional but more an exponentially loudness curve that explains that at beginning the sound is only recognizable at min value "5" because of internal calculation and dividing the calculated value (and "real volume") is "0". With value "5" the result of the dividing/calculation is sufficient for sending a signal to the output ports. The higher the volume setting parameter the higher the output volume and more less the volume gap is and at the end the more slightly the organ volume will be increased. That's because of an exponential algorithm and limited digital values.

I also have the pops and cracks while changing the main volume while playing but this also happens while switching the tube amp on and off. I think that this is normal. The main volume is not designed to use with a swell pedal to change it permanently while playing. But - like you correctly do/did - the best solution for this is to change the upper/lower manual volume which can be set much subtler and makes no other noises.
zoleeon

Beitrag von zoleeon »

Thank you, Mackey for your detailed answer!(I was not to active on the forum during the last period)

In my setup (I am not an organ player but I love the organ sound especially of this unit named HX 3) the main controller is a Kurzweil Forte 7, and a few more sound modules near the HX 3.5.I keep the main volume of HX3 always on maximum and modifying only the CC9 and CC8 with a double expression pedal made by Lehle, which is very good and precise. Also for programing I am using a Electra one midi controller which has a nice touchscreen and a lot of possibilities to arrange all the pots, button, sliders and other things to be as pragmatic as it can for this unit. Slowly I understand how to use the HX3.

Cheers!
Antworten