Wersi saturn

Moderator: happyfreddy

Fonsspons
Re: Wersi saturn

Beitrag von Fonsspons »

Morning!
I just did it. I moved the saturn upstairs. Luckily I have a small crane on top of the roof. And I am a handy guy... Overall nothing too difficult. (With the right tools!)
While in place, opened the saturn. A bit of a mess in comparison with the DX500. Much less space. A lot of repair or added features I feel. The toplid is secured with the wrong hinges. The uppershelf was loos due to unejected pin. Wires where pinched when opening. Fixed all that so now I can open the "hood"! Sadly, due to the faulty hinges (hinges for falling down cabinetdoors were used...) the upper lid fel down on my hands and on the openend topshelf. Two small pcb's are broken... :( The hingesproblem is solved now, but the damage is done. I am under the impression that by unplugging these broken pcb's I can still play whitout further damage.
Luckily I checked the T4000's for resistance because one of the 3 I have measured 16 Ohm. The other 2 are fine with 4.5 Ohm.
I noticed in the bauanleitung that these speakers can be wired to 4 or 8 Ohms. But I can not find what the true output impedance of the saturn is. I would like to know so I can select the right pair. ( I have a few options here at home, and I prefer not to put the T4000's in my living room).
So, what is the output impedance of the saturn.
Is it save to power the saturn on with 2 broken but unplugged PCB's (the one under the 16' posaune and the 8' trompete switch, as shown in the picture)
Thanks!
Jo
saturnkraan.jpeg
A flying Saturn!
(380.11 KiB) 504-mal heruntergeladen
saturnkruk.jpeg
Second step.
(130.98 KiB) 497-mal heruntergeladen
saturn binnen.jpeg
It's new place.
(128.04 KiB) 505-mal heruntergeladen
IMG_20210218_105120.jpg
Broken PCB.
(2.91 MiB) 502-mal heruntergeladen
IMG_20210218_105039.jpg
Inside1
(3.35 MiB) 501-mal heruntergeladen
IMG_20210218_105034.jpg
Inside2
(2.77 MiB) 502-mal heruntergeladen
IMG_20210218_105028.jpg
Inside3
(2.99 MiB) 502-mal heruntergeladen
IMG_20210218_105229.jpg
Inside4
(2.3 MiB) 503-mal heruntergeladen
IMG_20210218_105220.jpg
Inside5
(2.56 MiB) 507-mal heruntergeladen
IMG_20210218_105216.jpg
Inside6
(2.71 MiB) 505-mal heruntergeladen
happyfreddy

Beitrag von happyfreddy »

Congratulation in "lifting up " those heavy weight organ :D

About the hinge problem .........

Be always careful when opening the wooden top cover
Never open it in an angle more than 88 ° . When this part is open over 90 ° it may fall down
backways and ther is no chance to hold it. The wooden Construction of hinge will damage completly.

To open the top case of organ:
Keep the housing with top cover closed
You have first unscrew two screws ( hidden under black plastic covers ) at back front.
Then You can open this back front.
When lifting the top cover keep it with the two wooden distance holder at each side in Position of
about 30° . If to have open it more than this angle You NEED A SECOND PERSON which holds the cover.

broken PCB board.
Cause alle thes boars are soldered directly in You have to put out the whole components board.
Later organs have for each littlie filter PCB a 19 pol plug for connecting
If You need this broken PCB just tell the marked Filter and Number written on it.

inside 1
shows the double transposer. upper pots for generator and lower for accompainment of a WM II rhytm unit
In this case You must have a newer second transposer TP 10 for the installed CX 2 rythm unit

inside 2
shows the reverb spring unit

Inside 3
shows the rack of rhytm unit CX 2
The PCB with ACCU perhaps damaged cause Accu is empty and some chemical fluid can be seen on other components.
Put the PCB out and post some pics please

inside 4
shows the wersivision board

insiode 5
shows the soundcomputer board of upper manual

inside 6
shows the soundcomputer board of lower manual

the right 5 micro switches normal have to be in OFF position
these 5 are in ON position ... WHY ???

To test the T 4000 just read with OHM METR the resistance at cable
If You read about 5 OHM this speaker is a 8 OHM box

otherwise open the backside and look at the big speaker ( perhaps a FANE type )
the piezo speakers have no impedance and are connected directly or
inserie with a capacitor
Fonsspons

Beitrag von Fonsspons »

A crane and fully understanding the concept of leverage can do wonders. I was surprised how fast I got it from sideways on the floor to it's final position. I love the site of it in my living room. It's like the command of a starship! I love it!!!
I have the impression that the sound of the Saturn is more "raw" than the DX500? (Could be the speakers of course).
When I measure the input of the speakers I read 4.5- 4.6 Ohms. So I 'm surprised u say it are 8 Ohm speakers then. Not to be confused. The totality of the speakers is 4.5 Ohm. And I know there are 2 large cone baffles on the inside. Which are AD 12100/M8 type's. Which according to google are actually Phillips speakers with an impedance of 8 Ohms, which, in parallel should measure 4 Ohms. Secondly, this set also came with a Marelco amp and preamp set (of which I find nothing on the web) and according to a little schematic and the wires I found, it seemed the organ was fed trough the amp. So still very confused about the whole impedance story.
To repair the pcb's I understand that to repair them I should completely remove that motherboard and unsolder the small pcb's, but can I power up the Saturn with all this unplugged? (I really want to plug it in, but am afraid to damage more... :roll: )
I see now how the open the back side!
IMG_20210215_170054.jpg
(2.86 MiB) 505-mal heruntergeladen
happyfreddy

Beitrag von happyfreddy »

In Your technical support sheets You find one with the titel
TONFORMUNG W 3 . In this is shown the layout of the small filterboards.
The relevant for broken PCB is the suffix " e " . In Techn support Yiou find
also the layout of these filterboards and I think to repair this is the quickest way
to do.
When two bass speakers are connected in T 4000 parallel You have 4 Ohm
You are right that are Phillips Speakers.

There exsist two versions of Powersupply and Amp in the SATURN
older ones with LE 400 Chassis and two EV 140 Amps ( 140 W at 2 Ohms )
newer ones with theLE 20 Powersupply and Amp

The LE 20 is containing two amps with the OM 961 hybrid Amplifier.
Before connecting any speaker, please test at the Output jacks of the LE 20 if there is any DC voltage
to measured greater than 1 volt .
If this happens the OM 961 is damaged and must be changed
When switching on You hear a relais clicking ca 1 sec after swtich on. thats correct.
Antworten