Nasty distortion

Rund um die "Clonewheels" HX3.1 bis HX3.4 (mk4) und HOAX 2

Moderator: happyfreddy

GryAS
Nasty distortion

Beitrag von GryAS »

Hello, new user of the HX3 module from Norway here. I had my HX3 and the drawbar controller for about a week, and unfortunately I have a problem that I am unable to solve with adjusting my unit.
Let us say I want a rock organ sound with lots of distortion. To get to this I turn my Rotary amp level up to 150, the Swell trim cap to 100. So far so good, but as soon as I want to brighten up the tone with the tone trim pot I get some really nasty distortion. It is just like something is clipping in the signal path, and the sound is totally useless. If I turn the tone trim pot to its brightest level I have to go below 50 on the rotor amp level to stop the distortion. With all tree pots at full level the distortion is all over the keyboard, but it is really terrible in the highest octave with the high F to be the worst tone of them all.
I have the firmware 3.90 and also the correct FPGA.
Since I am new to this I am hoping someone here can give me an advice on this.
I have posted a video on Youtube where you can see and listen to this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzO90To ... e=youtu.be
Thanks
Christian
Re: Nasty distortion

Beitrag von Christian »

A "crackling" type of distortion is caused by digital overflow. Not all blocks in FPGA are protected against overflow, so instead of clipping signal will be "foldback" to negative values, making a very unpleasant sound.

This type of distortion will definitely appear if tapering files (taper_levelsX.dat) are missing and therefore not updated after FPGA update, so all TG note values will be at maximum.

With new #3.91 FW and #02012016 FPGA it did never occur, independent of any extreme db/tone/amp setting. You should do a complete update when 3.91 is final tomorrow.

Please use HX3 Flash for updating, as HX3 Remote leaves room for mistakes.
GryAS
Re: Nasty distortion

Beitrag von GryAS »

The 3.91 is installed. The upsetting distortion is gone and my unit now sounds like a good organ is supposed to do, and then some, as the new Leslie Simulator is really a big step in the right direction. In fact tonight is the first time I have played the HX3 without missing my Ventilator. :D Thanks.
Antworten