Help

Rund um die "Clonewheels" HX3.1 bis HX3.4 (mk4) und HOAX 2

Moderator: happyfreddy

Angelo Cappello
Help

Beitrag von Angelo Cappello »

Tried everything. Now HX3 is completely unusable. FPGA refuses to install. So many out of sync messages and TX/RX errors. It is unclear what to do with jumpers JP7-JP8-JP5. Now it seems that there is a power supply problem but I do not use the USB to supply (5V contact in PL26 is disconnected). I think I will wait until this forum will report a stable functioning of the remote programmer (which is a very good idea). Furthermore, discussions on this forum are hardly comprehensible. Google translator does a bad work from german to english (please read this message as original).
I'm loosing my hope to see this project completed. And I am an electronic engineer with more than 30 years experience.
A single english page with very clear step by step instructions to program FPGA and firmware (even without the remote programmer) would be absolutely welcome. Otherwise the only way is to send the device to CM at any new software release.
Thanks a lot
Regards
Angelo
happyfreddy
Re: Help

Beitrag von happyfreddy »

hi
Carsten is informed and will answer directly
happyfreddy
clemens

Beitrag von clemens »

Hello Angelo,

I had a similar situation, it was not possible to upload the FPGA file. Normally it should help, when you set the Jumper 5 (confdis). I tried to upload it several times, but at the end there was again the same problem: serial number -1 and leds were flashing.
So I went back to the old Teraterm upload macro. I deleted all scan cores, except Midi and Fatar and started the upload of the FPGA file and it worked :-)

Bye,
Clemens.
Organuts

Beitrag von Organuts »

clemens hat geschrieben:Hello Angelo,

I had a similar situation, it was not possible to upload the FPGA file. Normally it should help, when you set the Jumper 5 (confdis). I tried to upload it several times, but at the end there was again the same problem: serial number -1 and leds were flashing.
So I went back to the old Teraterm upload macro. I deleted all scan cores, except Midi and Fatar and started the upload of the FPGA file and it worked :-)

Bye,
Clemens.
Does that mean that the new HX Remote program doesn't work at all? I am still hesitating to use it before somebody can confirm that it really works. Was any HX3 user able to use HX3 Remote successfully?

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

Ciao,
Thomas
clemens

Beitrag von clemens »

Hello Thomas,

yes of course, it's working. I used version 1.06 and it was easily possible to upgrade the firmware to 3.53, set the serial numbers and change and write some parameters etc.
I only had problems during the FPGA upgrade.

Bye,
Clemens.
george_m

Beitrag von george_m »

Hi Angelo - and everyone else who might be concerned,
had yesterday obviously the same problem. No problem with the firmware upload (piece of cake!).
But no way to upload the FPGA successfully.
Serial-1, FPGA Version FFFFFFFF, 00000000, or something really weird. Every time i refreshed the info i received something different. But it seemed to have a pattern - somehow...
Finally after fiddling around several hours, realizing that i could be the first one with a HX3-brick, i found the solution (at last for me - hopefully it´ll work for you too).
use HX Remote v1.06 (see repo)

Start:
-set JP7/JP8 and JP5.
-Disconnect the FTDI Cable
-Restart the your computer
-Restart HX3 (disconnect from power)
-connect the FTDI cable to HX3
-reconnect additional power to HX3
-connect the FTDI cable to USB
-open the HX Remote
-select FTDI or FT232R device
-type in your Name, your old serial number, license Organ/Leslie
-send licences (is this the most important point?)
- do not refresh info (not really shure about this point - but if it could help…)
-update FPGA
-when finished remove JP5
-reset HX3
-write down your new serial!
-close the uart-connection (again: not really shure about this point- Justin Case)
-disconnect FTDI from USB
-disconnect FTDI from HX3

done - it should now work…

It seems so easy but, after the first attempt i missed always to type in name, serial and licenses :oops:
if you´ll get an out of sync error, try to reseat the FTDI plug on HX3 board

best of luck
btw. the application works fine. I did it on a Mac with an virtual machine with win7 (64bit) successfully. The bug was seated in front of the computer :twisted:

my question: what shall be done with JP7/JP8 after successful upgrading? unplug?
Angelo Cappello

Hi
so the problem is real. Many thanks for your assistance (and, first time, it was very easy to read your messages). I've followed step by step the procedure illustrated by George (many thanks for the detailed explanation). Fewer TX/RX errors but at the end it did not work. At startup, on the first LCD page it appears ButtonPresetsFPG (FPG?) and then the system goes into a never ending test loop. I will try to program the FPGA by the classical method (without Remote). But I hope that Carsten will solve this problem The Remote programmer is a very nice Idea.
Kind Regards
Angelo
bovist
Site Admin

Beitrag von bovist »

Hi everyone,

I'll try to track down the problem today. As well as the FPGA update works well on my two PCs and all HX3 boards I tried, there may be certain circumstances which may lead to the verify issues, mostly timing problems.

Just for reproducing the fault: Which Windows version and which FTDI driver version are you using? What kind of processor?

On my Windows 7 PC, the device manager issues FTDI driver version 2.10.0.0 and driver date 27.01.2014.

For normal operation, JP7 and JP8 must be removed after updating. I added these information to the HX3 Remote wiki page.
george_m

Beitrag von george_m »

On my Windows 7 PC, the device manager issues FTDI driver version 2.10.0.0 and driver date 27.01.2014.
same here!

Thank you bovist for the jumper remove information. I was already thinking of but not shure
Angelo Cappello

Dear Carstens,
I am at work. I will check the FTDI driver version in the afternoon. But it was downloaded on January 31 so it should be the same version as yours. OS is Windows 7 32 bit Professional and processor Intel Core2 Duo 2.8GHz 4Gb RAM.
Everything was fine on May 18 with FW 3.52 (see post "Firmware 3.52").
Thanks a lot
Regards
Angelo
Antworten