Percussion on "A" drawbar set

Rund um die "Clonewheels" HX3.1 bis HX3.4 (mk4) und HOAX 2

Moderator: happyfreddy

PortlandMike
Percussion on "A" drawbar set

Beitrag von PortlandMike »

I am using a Viscount Keyb Legend Live as a controller for my HX3 expander (EDIT: I just upgraded to FW 4.22/FGPA 10102016. Now the C/V sounds WAY better— 98% like the real thing!). The percussion affects both the A and B sets of drawbars, and also the two presets. It seems that they only transmit to the "Live setting", and the percussion tabs remain the same. Is there any way to prevent it from working with the "A" drawbars and presets?

Also, wondering if a MIDI set will be released for the Keyb Legend/ Live? I will try and reprogram the custom MIDI set.

I was planning on selling my HX3 expander once I bought the Keyb (for simplicity's sake/ easier setup, not because I am dissatisfied with HX3!) but honestly I like the HX3 better overall, although I think the Leslie sim is better on the Legend. The basic sound of the HX3 is more analogue/ authentic to me, and the tapering is better/ much more playable in its current state (I am experiencing issues with extremely loud frequencies around 80-116Hz, and too quiet above and below there on the Legend, especially with the Leslie sim). Well, I wanted a new MIDI controller with 4 sets of drawbars anyways, and the Legend Live is a great controller! Also transmits MIDI velocity, which is nice for playing Rhodes. Perhaps I will like the Legend better in a future FW update. I am happy to be using HX3 regardless.
Zuletzt geändert von PortlandMike am 1. Jun 2017, 02:15, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Drawbi
Re: Percussion on "A" drawbar set

Beitrag von Drawbi »

Hello PortlandMike,

how do you switch between Set A and B?
m_g

Beitrag von m_g »

Mike,

afaik the KeyBmk3 and Legend have the same midi implementation.
Do you use the KeyB CC set?
Thought there is no need to create a custom CC-set.....
PortlandMike

I switch using the "A" and "B" buttons on the upper manual of the Legend Live (there are also buttons for the lower manual). They send MIDI CC 25 with a value of 10 (A) and 11 (B) on the appropriate channel (in this case, 1). Page 76: http://www.viscountinstruments.com/medi ... %20v11.pdf) Hyperlink must be copied and pasted due to the parentheses in the URL.

I tried turning "on" the tabs saved on preset function, but it made no difference.

I put the MIDI CC on "KeyB/Duo" mode. It mostly works, although I can only use V/C C3 and many of the knobs don't correspond to the correct or similar function (some do, such as Pedal Sustain).
Zuletzt geändert von PortlandMike am 1. Jun 2017, 02:37, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.
PortlandMike

EDIT: After upgrading to FW 4.22/FGPA 10102016 I am really happy with the sound! I was on FW 3.92/ FGPA 11042016 and didn't realize it. The keyclick on 4.22/10102016 wasn't to my liking- something sounded a little off. I changed it to ContSpringFlx= 3 and ContSpringDmp= 10. This sounds close enough to my 1962 Hammond C3/ 1958 Leslie 51C, and very musical to my ears. I may try and tweak the C/V settings just a little at some point in the future. I think they are the closest I've heard to the real thing of any clone! I also turned the TubeAmp gain to 81, which gives it some really nice and warm low-level tube distortion— similar to my Leslie turned 7/10 the way up, with the way my C3's tone trim pot is set.

I've ordered a Neo Mini Vent II, and am excited to try it out. Everything else about my HX3 sounds incredibly close to the real thing. I run sound in mono, so I know I won't be able to get a perfect Leslie recreation. Side note— I use the FBT Vertus CS1000. Incredible for organ (and for acoustic piano/ other keyboard sounds). Has fat bass (I turn the subwoofer up one notch from unity) and a very flat frequency response, if you can stand playing in mono.

I am still hoping I can do something about turning the percussion off on "A" drawbar bank and presets. The percussion still triggers with "local off", but the drawbars don't.
Drawbi

Beitrag von Drawbi »

Hello PortlandMike,

HX3 and MiniVent II is an excellent combination! The integrated Leslie Simulation in the HX3 is very good but HX3 in combination with MiniVent it's even better (my personal oppinion)! I use two settings on my HX3 Drawbar Expander: Main out without Preamp Simulation and with Preamp Simulation. On the MiniVent you have the Option to cancel the cabinet simulation. This is my MiniVent "A" setting with a little overdrive. The "B" setting is with cabinet simulation and a little more distortion. Sounds Great! Mostly I use the HX3 only with vibrato settings and and Leslie sim stopped. This is more "Klaus Wunderlich"-Style.

Have also Problems with the Percussion settings on the presets while switching. First I will check the Manual. Talk to you soon...
Drawbi

Beitrag von Drawbi »

Hello PortlandMike,

I do not know the features of the HX3 (plexi) Expander. I have bought the HX3 Drawbar Expander but I think the internal settings are nearly the same. I took a look at the manual of the legend live and also read the midi implementation chart. This Instrument will not send program change messages. Unfortunately there is no midi implementation chart for the HX3 Expander. The Expander has 15 internal presets. You can choose if the percussion and vibrato settings will be stored or not (like the real B3 Presets). I have updated to v4.25. Preset 0 is the live setting. You have to send program change 0 to select UM preset 0. UM Presets 1 - 11 are selected if you send program change 1 - 11. It is not possible (at this time) to choose preset 12 - 15 via midi! Program change 12 will select LM Preset 0 and program change 13 - 23 will select LM presets 1 - 11. LM presets 12 - 15 can also not be selected by midi program change!

Presets 1 - 15 are fixed settings of drawbars. I have never found a 2nd set of drawbars like on a B3. There are also no midi cc messages selectable for a 2nd set of drawbars. Sending control change CC 25 0 - 10 will change the LM 2 2/3 Drabar to 0; CC25 11 will set the drawbar to 1 (with the default NI B4 CC setting)...

I can save a percussion (or vibrato) setting in preset 1 (e.g. 2nd, slow) and another setting (e.g. 3rd, fast) in preset 2. Preset 0 (the live preset) has no vibrato and no percussion. When I select preset 1 via midi program change 1 the percussion will be set like programmed in this preset before. When I change back to preset 0 via program change 0 the drawbar setting of preset 0 is recalled but the percussion setting of preset 1 (2nd, slow) is still active. The same effect on preset 2: When I select preset 2 and switch back to the live preset, the drawbar setting is switched to preset 0 and the percussion setting of preset 2 (3rd, fast) is active.

Do you have the same problem?

Sorry for my bad English. Hope you will understand what I wanted to explain.
PortlandMike

Thanks, Drawbi. Your English is good. I understand what you are describing, but I have usually used presets with saving tabs "off" when I was using a different controller and sending program changes for presets. I hardly use presets except switching between A and B drawbar sets. Also, the Legend Live doesn't transmit program change information.

The Legend Live has 4 sets of drawbars, just like a B3. The issue I am having is that percussion works on both sets of drawbars, rather than just the "B" preset (LED buttons to select A and B drawbar sets). It also is active on the presets 1 and 2 (also LED button). I am wondering if there is a way to get everything except for the "B" preset on the upper manual to have percussion disabled, just like on a B3 with latching presets. That's how I am accustomed to playing, and I usually don't want percussion when I am switching to an upper manual comping sound, squabbling, or full drawbars. It significantly slows me down if I have to turn the percussion off, which is on the far right side of the keyboard, and then select the preset on the far left. If I want to switch back to soloing with percussion, I have to repeat the process.

Is this impossible on keyboard such as mine? Do people with the Nord CD2/ other clonewheels with 4 sets of drawbars but without latching preset keys have the same problem?

Thanks,
Michael

PS I am truly enjoying 4.22 and the wonderful chorus! I think it's the best on the market. I am tempted to try 4.25 but was hesitant because of reported issues in these forums. I will wait until after a gig Saturday. Also, I am using the Mini Vent II, which I received today, which is lovely!
Drawbi

Beitrag von Drawbi »

Hello Michael,

are you familiar with "HX3 Remote" software?
PortlandMike

Yes, I can experiment with it. Perhaps there is a way for me to achieve what I want with a parameter in there.
Antworten