Percussion could be 'fatter'?

Rund um die "Clonewheels" HX3.1 bis HX3.4 (mk4) und HOAX 2

Moderator: happyfreddy

clp560
Percussion could be 'fatter'?

Beitrag von clp560 »

I have the sound of my HX3 (mk3, fw 4.11) just about perfect (and the chorus, which I've spent some time on) but I find the percussion (3rd) just a bit 'thin' and bright. Does anyone else think this? Is it the frequency perhaps? Could it be changed or made variable? I have the decay and volume set ok but would like it to be a bit more 'round'.

Describing sound is never easy!

Any thoughts?

Paul
bovist
Site Admin
Re: Percussion could be 'fatter'?

Beitrag von bovist »

Well, I think I'ts a matter how good the original circuit works.

In a Ao28 preamp, a dual triode is used as a cut-off/decay "VCA". If the triode systems are not balanced, percussion get a kind of low frequency "thump" due to control voltage feedthrough. Maybe this is what you miss...
TKN

Beitrag von TKN »

I also think the percussion in the 4.22 is to bright and thin, which make the overall sound to thin for my taste. I then compare it to my well maitained and recapped 1963 A-102.

I have downgraded to version 4.11, and like that version better.
clp560

Beitrag von clp560 »

Maybe that's what's happening, Carsten. Like some others here I also played Hammonds when they were new, but to be fair it's impossible to remember exactly how they sounded apart from the fact that they were 'cleaner', especially with new Leslies as well. I still have a B3 (early 1960s) here and it's natural to compare the HX3, especially since I don't want to carry the B3 around anymore!

Is it a possibility to emulate the effect you describe? I think players might find it useful.

Paul
Antworten