Sub-harmonic

Rund um die "Clonewheels" HX3.1 bis HX3.4 (mk4) und HOAX 2

Moderator: happyfreddy

Angelo Cappello
Sub-harmonic

Beitrag von Angelo Cappello »

Hi,
I've found something strange. Set one drawbar at a time to 8 and remaining drawbars to 0 (both manuals). When I play a note in the lower part of the keyboard I hear a sub-harmonic (rise the bass level on the amplifier to hear the sub-harmonic two octaves below). The keyboard range affected changes with the drawbar selected. Is it a normal behaviour ? It seems that waveforms are based on a fundamental with a four times lower frequency.
Thanks
Regards
Angelo
Simon98
Re: Sub-harmonic

Beitrag von Simon98 »

There are no waveforms involved in the hx3 ! Physical modeling, the Sound is created 'on the spot' when you hit a key.

You might hear the leakage, which is when pickups took a tiny bit of signal from the neighbour tonewheels on vintage hammonds. It's normal and it's ought to be like that.
happyfreddy

Beitrag von happyfreddy »

@Simon 98
Exact :!: That what You might hear is leakage , little crosstalk just in real Hammond Tonewheel Generator
@Angelo
Remember the construction of tonewheel generator
We have many chambers, each chamber with two tonwheel shafts driven by one brass gear. These tonewheelshafts rotate at same speed, BUT
each tonewheel shaft has two tooth gears with different number of teeth. The generated frequencies have a range distance of 4 octaves.
In some chambers also two different tone names are generated cause the possibility to realize this with certain speed and number of tooth
On each end of a chamber You find the relative close together located pickups. Though each Pickup has a followed filter a little crosstak and leakage
is possible. That´s what You might hear. Be sure You find in other section of keys look like strange things as written.
It´s normal in each Hammond.
HX 3 never uses any samples or waveforms , it´s physically modelling. The HX3 Sound engine is the only one with 91 free running virtual tonewheels.
That´s the reason of the "living sound " You hear.
Angelo Cappello

Beitrag von Angelo Cappello »

OK. Crosstalk effect is correctly taken into account when modelling gears and pickups behaviour. Maybe there is an internal parameter adjusting the crosstalk effect. But, if you feel that the actual crosstalk is modeled on a hammond organ in perfect conditions nothing should be modified. Unfortunately, I have no hammond organ to compare with.
Thanks a lot
Regards
Angelo
Antworten