HX3 + MIDI pedals

Rund um die "Clonewheels" HX3.1 bis HX3.4 (mk4) und HOAX 2

Moderator: happyfreddy

Laurens61
HX3 + MIDI pedals

Beitrag von Laurens61 »

Greetings from a new member!

I just completed a conversion, XB2 to HX3, and would like to say the sound is outstanding. As it happens I also own a 1959 C3 (with 2 x Leslie 147), and there's no question Keyboard Partner have nailed the authentic Hammond sound with this circuitry. 8-)

There does seem to be one minor problem with my new setup, though. When I connect a MIDI source for pedals, the pedal drawbars have no effect on the sound. That is to say: the pedals do sound, and the signal is output appropriately on the R/Pedal jack when my Leslie 330 is plugged in. Also, when I hold the Organ Solo button for 1 second to edit the pedal drawbars, the display does update to show that the pedal drawbars are now active; and working the first four drawbars does change the numeral display for the three pedal drawbars plus Sustain. But, the problem is that none of this changes the actual pedal registration -- i.e. there is no change to the pedal sound itself.

So for example, if I'm playing the pedals and activate the pedal drawbars, then push all three of the lower drawbars all the way in to zero, this should silence the pedal output. But instead, it has no effect at all on the pedal sound; the sound just continues with whatever the earlier drawbar setting was.

Do I have something set up incorrectly, or is this possibly a bug in the firmware, or the like?

Thank you-
"Laurens"
Laurens61
Re: HX3 + MIDI pedals

Beitrag von Laurens61 »

(I should add, my HX3 is Version 4.25, mk 3/4)
happyfreddy

Beitrag von happyfreddy »

If You use a XB2 as Masterkey which CC Set do You use ?
Laurens61

Beitrag von Laurens61 »

Thank you for your reply.

I had just been using the default Native Instruments B4 CC set. After I saw your reply, I tried each of the other CC sets in turn - unfortunately none of them made any difference. The pedal sound is still not responding to pedal drawbar changes, even though the LCD display does reflect drawbar movements.
happyfreddy

HI
Please regard in our wiki about MIDI CC Sets
http://wiki.keyboardpartner.de/index.ph ... ontrollers

Your XB 2 must send on Channel 1 for Bass 16 CC # 33
for Bass 8 CC # 34
and for Sustain CC # 75
As I see it Your XB 2 doesn´t change the lower drawbars to pedal CC Codes when switched as bass drawbars
The Pedal key MIDI channel = 3 , Upper = 1 and Lower = 2
Laurens61

Beitrag von Laurens61 »

Hello again, thank you for the new information.

I think perhaps there has been a slight misunderstanding about the nature of my setup. I'm not trying to control an HX3 module remotely from an XB2 as a MIDI controller. Rather, this is a full conversion using the XB2-to-HX3 Retrofit Kit.

--As shown here:

http://shop.keyboardpartner.de/epages/1 ... %2Fxb2-kit

So I would have assumed that all these control signals would be handled internally. Perhaps I have misunderstood something, though - ?

...Just to clarify, on the converted XB2 (with new HX3 Sound Engine), I have the base MIDI channel set to 1. Then, the pedals are routed to the XB2/HX3's MIDI input, transmitting on channel 3. The note-on and note-off messages are being successfully received and voiced by the XB2/HX3; no problem there. Then, to change the pedal drawbar setting, I press and hold "Organ Solo" for a minimum of 1 second, and then physically move the first three or four drawbars. This works, but only partially. It does change the pedal drawbar settings as displayed by the LCD screen. But, the problem is that this does not change the actual pedal sound.

--In other words, when I change the pedal drawbars, the LCD display is updated to reflect the new drawbar positions, but the sound is not.

Thanks again,
"Laurens"
Laurens61

Beitrag von Laurens61 »

I've just noticed something new about the behaviour of the pedal drawbars...

As I noted before, if I activate the pedal drawbars (Press and hold "Organ Solo" for 1 second), and move the physical drawbars: the pedal drawbar settings in the display screen update to reflect the change, but the actual pedal sound does *not* change.

But, if I next press "Edit," and then "MIDI Channel," but *without actually changing the MIDI channel* (i.e., simply leaving it on base MIDI channel 1): then when I exit out of Edit mode, the pedal sound *does* change, to the current drawbar setting. So, simply entering and exiting channel edit mode causes the pedal sound to update. (???)

But even after that, subsequent drawbar changes have no further effect -- unless I once again enter and exit Edit mode for the MIDI channel, as above.

...In other words, each time I want to change the pedal sound, I have to change the pedal drawbars, then enter and exit Edit mode for the base MIDI channel.

I should also note: patching in another keyboard on MIDI channel 2, for the Lower manual, works perfectly: selecting lower drawbars by tapping "Organ Solo" and moving the physical drawbars immediately updates *both* the LCD drawbar settings *and* the actual sound for the lower manual. (There's no need to enter and exit MIDI channel Edit mode in this case.)

Puzzling... does anyone have an idea what's going wrong here?

Thanks for any assistance!
happyfreddy

XB2 HX 3 retrofit is a special version of normal HX 3
Mostly same handling but there are also special features only at XB2 kit
So please look at those wiki sites
http://wiki.keyboardpartner.de/index.ph ... stallation
Laurens61

Beitrag von Laurens61 »

Sorry, that's an installation guide; my Retrofit kit is fully installed already, and fully working -- except for this one function.

Surely it's not possible that an incorrect installation would only affect a single, detailed function - ?

...Again, this procedure works fine for the lower manual drawbars, coming in on MIDI channel 2. So the question is why it doesn't work for the pedal drawbars, coming in on MIDI channel 3. The only difference is the MIDI channel; and we know that the MIDI data is being received and voiced correctly, until the drawbars positions are changed. At that point, the drawbar display updates to the new settings, but the sound is not updated to reflect the new settings.
Antworten