Hamichord issues

Rund um die "Clonewheels" HX3.1 bis HX3.4 (mk4) und HOAX 2

Moderator: happyfreddy

bovist
Site Admin
Hamichord issues

Beitrag von bovist »

Hello all,

I have nearly finished a Hamichord MIDI CC implementation for HX3 which may be switched on by remote commands

Code: Alles auswählen

wen=1
531=2
with newest firmware 3.23. Sadly, I don't have a Hamichord to test. Following issues apply (from a mail to an italian customer):

Percussion FAST and SOFT settings seem to be inverted. I will fix that.

"Key Click" knob controls the bass pedal sustain instead, should be working when connecting a bass bedal to Hamichord or using the lower manual split. Key click for itself is not adjustable (as on a real B3!).

HX3 has no overall (final) digital volume control, so Hamichord "Volume" pot controls the swell pedal amount if swell pedal is not used. If swell pedal is connected to HX3, only one of both can used (swell pedal or volume pot). So you experience the volume jumps because HX3 decides to use the swell pedal if used.

Hamichord "Volume" pot or swell pedal should have the same dynamic range as on real B3 swell (retains a minimal volume with emphasized bass, not zero).

HX3 has no "Volume Soft" tab; customers may implement that as an analog switch on audio output which retains the dynamics. If volume would be reduced digitally, dynamic range is sacrified (as on digital overall volume control).

HX3 does not have an "overdrive" knob, but a Leslie volume knob 0 to 10 with same function as on a real Leslie 147 amp, mapped to Hamichord overdrive knob MIDI CC 35 = hex 23. Full volume is reached at 7 position. If volume is increased further, the amp simulation begins to distort like a 147 amp does on full volume.

On my newest firmware, I increased levels so full volume may be reached at 5 position, since many customers asked for a heavier distortion at full Leslie volume (like turning the B3 swell pedal adjustment capacitor fully out). I also fixed the nasty digital "scratching" distortion at full volume.

I can assign Hamichord "Volume Soft" tab to lower key split function (bass pedal notes on first 25 keys) as the tab would be obsolete otherwise. I have corrected the inverted function of 2 percussion tabs.

HX3 leakage may be adjusted in four steps 0 to 3 by a remote control parameter, as well as others (see https://github.com/heise/HOAX/blob/mast ... f?raw=true for a complete list). Yours was on 1, I can change that to 2 (3 is quite heavy!). If you know someone experienced with computer (or you are), I can supply a USB-to-serial adaptor cable so you may change some parameters for yourself by use of a simple terminal program (recommended: TeraTerm 4.74).

Does a swell pedal connected to Hamichord work at all (no swell pedal connected to HX3 jack)?

Vibrato parameters are adjusted to fit my reference B3 and should work the desired way. Anyway, if you find some settings to weak or to heavy, they may be adjusted by remote control parameters also. Please first check if all Vibrato knob settings V1 to C3 are different and no one is missing or double.
happyfreddy
Re: Hamichord issues

Beitrag von happyfreddy »

hi
The missing "Volume Soft Switch" can easy be realized by additional Output Amplifiers with switchable Gain via 4066 IC for all chanels ( Line Out and Leslie sim ). For "inverted Switches" its easier to use 2way switches and using the opposite side of contacts
happyfreddy
Antworten