resistor on drawbar pot

Rund um die "Clonewheels" HX3.1 bis HX3.4 (mk4) und HOAX 2

Moderator: happyfreddy

ratpackryan
resistor on drawbar pot

Beitrag von ratpackryan »

So not sure if it's supposed to but my 1' drawbars are very loud compared to the rest of them. it seems they react drastically to slight changes. not sure if this is from the drawbars I'm using because I took them out of a newer version CX3. so what I'm wandering is if i were to put a resistor on the 1' drawbar only, would this help to tone it down a bit? If so any help on what type of resistor would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
happyfreddy
Re: resistor on drawbar pot

Beitrag von happyfreddy »

hi
First control the voltage at both ends of the drawbar. It MUST be 3,3Volts same as on other drawbars.
Then the Output reading of the slider pin referring from GND = ZERO Volt to maximum = 3,3 Volts.
1`Drawbar upper Manual is connected to U 11 Pin 13 , 1´Drawbar Lower Manual is connected to U 14 Pin 1
each via smd resistor 4K7. Compare it with other drawbars same voltage reading on Input Pins of 4051 resp.
resistor pins. Control the value of these smd resistors , all must have a value of 4K7 .
Is there a difference in the values of the drawbar pots specially of th 1´drawbars ?
I´m waiting for answer
happyfreddy
ratpackryan

Hey Happy Freddy,
Yes I am getting 3.3V max and 0 V min. all the resistors seem fine, giving a reading just a little under at 4.66 or so. Maybe it's the way it's supposed to be but I've played on Hammonds and I've played on clone wheels and the 1' drawbar has never had as much presence as I feel this does. when I pull it out to the 1 mark it's already very strong in the mix and I dont believe I've ever been able to pull it past 5. Also for reference, all my parameters are set to stock so I don't believe it's any of them. I'm not knocking it, it's just very difficult to use the 1' drawbar when it's that "hot" and little jumps yield large results. Any input would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Lötkolben

Beitrag von Lötkolben »

This could be a defective potentiometer, maybe?

Why don't you just change cables of 1" Drawbars and 16" Drawbar just for testing what happens?

Bye

"Soldering Iron" :)
happyfreddy

ratpackryan,
You wrote
"Yes I am getting 3.3V max and 0 V min. all the resistors seem fine, giving a reading just a little under at 4.66 or so"

The Drawbars are conncted to Plug 9 ( Upper) and Plug 13 ( Lower ). On Plug 9 and Plug 13 is Pin 13 and 14 together connected to GND ; Pin 15 and 16 together to Vref = 3V3 . Therefore the maximum Voltage on each Input of U 8 , U 11 and U 14 only can be 3V3 measured against GND and not 4.66 Volts !! If You really can read 4.66 Volt please control correct Connection of the Drawbar Pots
If You connect each Drawbarset of Upper and Lower Manual with the Cable on Plug 9 resp. Plug 14 separate normally there cannot be any conflict
Pin 1 of female Plug connectors is marked with a TRIANGLE and this is the side of the colored flatcable
ZR_POTIS.JPG
ZR Set Measuring 3V3 and connection of drawbars together
(308.95 KiB) 3155-mal heruntergeladen
Because of the 4K7 resistors in series of the line from ZR Pot to IC 4051 you will measure a voltage little lower than 3V3 to GND direct on pins of IC 4051 ( U 8, U11 , U 14 ) but NEVER 4,66 Volts
To be sure control once again the soldering of the plugs and correct connection of the cables.
happyfreddy
ratpackryan

I was thinking it may be a defective pot too, but since this happens on both sets of drawbars for me I find it hard to believe that the 1' drawbar pot went bad on both of them. for the mean while I wired a 10k slider pot inline with the 1' drawbar and have found that it helps a lot. It sounds about right when I set the slider pots to about 1/2 to 5/8 resistance then use the drawbar and just leave the slider pot set where it is.
when I wrote 4.66 I was referring to Ohms that my multimeter were reading when I had it set to 20k Ohms, taking readings off of the resistors. Again I only got 3.3 Volts when measuring a drawbar fully pulled and 0 Volts when fully pushed in. So I think that's all fine.
happyfreddy

sorry that was a mistake myself about the " 4,66 " . As I see you mean 4,66 K the value of resistor and no voltage :o
Try therefore another one : put the cable of another footage ( 1 1/3 ´or so ) to GND and use the drawbar of this footage
für the 1´, which makes problems . If it´s then correct working the former drawbar of 1´is defect .

The other test - much easier to realize is to connect the slider pin cable of the 1´direct to GND = no signal on 1`or direct to 3 V3 level
the maximum tone signal or just change two footage cables to detect proper working of each drawbar.

be sure that the other Pots ( tonepot, leslie volpot // pedal pots ) on each Plug 9 or 13 must also be connected at the end pins of the pots to GND and 3V3. For the SWELL POT connection at plug 9 its more easier to let it free and isolate this cable and USE the JACK für Swell pot
happyfreddy
ratpackryan

I'm not using a tone pot, leslie vol pot, I've left both of those cables isolated and unconnected, and I've just been using the swell pedal jack for volume
happyfreddy

hi
If You use Leslie simulation You have to connect the Leslie Pot also Tone pot. Try any trimmpot instead of normal pots for not manuell used pots.
I´ve told about this problem with Carsten. Meanwhile he is back and will think about it too.
happyfreddy
ratpackryan

I don't use the leslie output, just the regular one. I use a neo ventilator pedal for my leslie. I've noticed after putting those 10k slider pots inline with the 1' drawbar pot, I no longer get the amplification of the opposite manual when turning on the chorus or vibrato also.
Antworten