Firmware 4.2 and Contact Early Action

Rund um die "Clonewheels" HX3.1 bis HX3.4 (mk4) und HOAX 2

Moderator: happyfreddy

gabriele
Firmware 4.2 and Contact Early Action

Beitrag von gabriele »

Hi everybody,
I wonder if the new fuction "Contact Early Action" in firmware 4.2 will send MIDI ON immediately (on 1st FATAR rubber contact) only using a Fatar keybed linked to the HX3 board by the Fatarscan2 scanning board, or will affect also the MIDI signal incoming from an external Fatar masterkeyboard.
If the last affirmation is true, I can have the so-called "fast trigger" from the keybed of my Nord Stage Compact (Fatar TP80 waterfall) when I control the HX3 expander via MIDI, right? I hope so :roll:

Kind regards,
Gabriele
happyfreddy
Re: Firmware 4.2 and Contact Early Action

Beitrag von happyfreddy »

Hi
If a FATAR Keyboard with FATARSCAN is connected to HX 3 the MIDI OUT signal will be dynamic kind because the FATAR
has two rubbercontacts for each key. The HX 3 itself needs only one keyboard signal and in
"Contact Early Action" it´s the first rubbercontact.
That means the HX 3 will operate since first rubbercontact is closed. The second closed rubbercontact is only relevant for generating the MIDI OUT NOTE ON COMMAND with dynamic level included.

Incoming MIDI signals ( NOTE ON / NOTE OFF bytes ) are THREE BYTE COMMANDS and contain the dynamic level 1 - 127
for each key separately .
A normal NONE DYNAMIC COMMAND ( NOTE ON / NOTE OFF ) includes instead of variation of dynamic level a constant
value of " 64 " = just the middle value of 0 - 127 range.

So for HX3 a MIDI NOTE ON / NOTE OFF command is only relevant in the value of MIDI CHANNEL and Keynumber
A dynamic value is then changed to a constant value of " 64 " if this value is between 1 and 127

A dynamic value of "0 " = ZERO is a special case because in so called " running status" it is declared to use a MIDI NOTE ON Command with dynamic "0" same way as a NOTE OFF command.
This conclusion was made by MIDI Association to reduce the MIDI DATA Volume.
The so called " STATUS BYTE " only must be send at same channel only ONE TIME at beginning. The following bytes are all DATABYTES ( keynumber and dynamic byte ).
Dynamic byte= 1 - 127 means then NOTE ON
Dynamic byte = 0 means NOTE OFF
gabriele
Re: Firmware 4.2 and Contact Early Action

Beitrag von gabriele »

Hi Happyfreddy,
thank you very much for your detailed and clear explanation.
I suppose this is the same basic used by Clavia/Nord to obtain the "fast trigger" response (or high trigger point as a real Hammond) from a Fatar keybed embedded in the Nord Stage when its internal organ engine is engaged.

regards,
gabriele
Antworten